Right now I am obsessed with the following:
the natural waves in my hair
my venti iced white chocolate mocha with 2 pumps of toffee nut
finding the perfect black cardigan before the season is over
and making m favorite candy bars at home without the 15 letter chemical additives
It can be done, I promise.
Joy has already conquered the Almond Joy. Nancy was talking about some Milky Way tart. And me, well I conquered the peppermint patty.
And being the true romantic that I am, I made them Valentines Day appropriate so that you can make it for your honey. I’m so thoughtful sometimes 😉
The original recipe called for rolling these into small balls and squishing them into the traditional patty shape. So for regular patties, just follow the recipe below. For heart shaped ones, follow my notes after the recipe.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
Adapted from Sweet Savory Life
Makes roughly 50 patties
1 can of condensed milk
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used red and pink candy melts and bittersweet chocolate)
3 tablespoons shortening
1. Combine condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, and peppermint extract in a large mixing bowl. Mix everything on medium speed using the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
2. Add more powdered sugar to your mixture, a half cup at a time, until the dough is pliable like firm modeling clay. I had to add all 3 1/2 cups.
3. Roll 3/4″ balls of dough between the palms of the hands. *
4. Press each ball down slowly and set the flattened disk on a flat cutting board or plate. Transfer peppermint disks to the freezer for no longer than 30 minutes (I ran out of time and ended up chilling these overnight and they were just fine to work with the next day.) While the dough is chilling, temper the chocolate coating.
5. Place chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl. Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments, making sure to stir after each time until chocolate is smooth. Stir in shortening to thin the chocolate. Remove patties from the freezer.
6. Place a patty on the tongs of the fork and dip in the chocolate until completely covered. Allow excess chocolate to drip off the patty before setting each one on top of wax or parchment paper.
7. Allow the chocolate coated peppermint patties to completely set up. This can be done quicker by placing the patties in the refrigerator. The peppermint patties are ready when they are dry to the touch. Enjoy!
* To make these heart shaped: gently but quickly roll the dough out to about 1/2″ thick then stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes until it is firm enough to cut out shapes. Once it’s firm, cut out the shapes and place them on a sheet of wax paper and once you’ve finished all the dough pop it into the freezer while you melt your chocolate and proceed with the recipe.
9 thoughts on “Homemade Peppermint Patties”
Ooooo, I like the sound of this. They aren’t my favorite but my sister loves them. I think I’ll make her some of Valentine’s Day!
OK, I had NO idea peppermint patties were this easy to make. I’m in so much trouble – I L O V E peppermint patties and see these in my IMMEDIATE future. I love the heart shapes!
Thank you for the recipe! I think 😉
I love what you did with these to jazz them up for Valentine’s Day – cute!! I bookmarked this recipe a while ago but then forgot about it so thanks for the reminder 🙂
Wow you are a get goer!! I ordered Sees candy for V. day!! Great photos, Im sure your man will love these!
You out did yourself with these my lady! They look better than the store bought kind. YUM!!!
I was looking around for something to make my peppermint loving friend for her bday- this wins! Can’t wait to give it a try
These would be so cute for a shower or wedding in the bride’s colors. Love the mint with a bite out of it.
Yummy and so pretty!